Today I will be showing you how to become an affiliate marketer for Amazon in 5 minutes.
In this post, I cover several important topics:
1. I go in-depth about why you should sign up for Amazon’s affiliate program,
2. I list valuable information about Amazon’s Policies, and how you can avoid getting banned!
Most Importantly: 3. A full step by step walk through to sign up to Amazon’s affiliate program in 5 minutes!
4. Lastly, I cover the many tools and customization within Amazon’s affiliate central dashboard. These resources can prove invaluable for making a sale possible!
=> Note: If you want to skip ahead to the sign-up walk through, feel free to scroll down and see those steps below.
Also, be sure to see my full review of my favorite Internet Marketing University and website builder, Wealthy Affiliate.
Reasons Why You Should Sign Up For Amazon’s Affiliate Program Today
There are many affiliate networks or programs out there today. There are so many in fact, that I don’t think I will ever run out in my lifetime.
Human innovation has provided man with the ability to promote someone else’s idea and get paid for it. Indeed, internet marketers can make a regular income by selling someone else’ products.
All of this without spending a dime!
What separates Amazon however, is its marketplace. Here are just a few ways Amazon is beating the pants off physical retailers and other affiliate programs:
Amazon’s Incredible Features & Benefits As An Affiliate Program
- Amazon is like the Walmart of the internet. Amazon’s 2 day shipping is now the shopping standard by which we judge shipping rates. No other shopping website has been able to seriously compete against Amazon in it’s niche.
- Prime memberships come with a host of benefits. Including, but not limited to, 2 day free shipping on all products that participate in the program, music streaming, and access to personal libraries.Thousands of people are joining Amazon and making purchases on a daily basis!
- Amazon ships internationally and their affiliate network allows you to sell products internationally. You can make money in the U.K selling a product to someone in Germany or the U.S. There are dozens of approved countries, and Amazon will pay you in your specified currency!
- Unlike some retailers, Amazon’s priority is to show you user reviews and ratings. When an item has a 4 out of 5 star rating or more, you know you are making a good purchase for the most part.
- On top of that, being able to see written reviews by previous verified buyers, is an incredible feature. People buy from Amazon with a buyer confidence you can count on!
- This one is easily the most exciting: Every product listed on Amazon has an affiliate link for you to promote it! If it’s on Amazon, you can sell it.
Previous Setup & Preparation Needed
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, let me clarify a few things.
1. Signing up for Amazon’s Affiliate Program requires that you have a website or mobile app to advertise their products. If you don’t already have one in place, click the link Here.
The previous link will take you to a full review of my favorite FREE website builder and the 1# rated virtual university for online business building, Wealthy Affiliate.
2. Amazon receives in incredible quantity of sign-ups for their affiliate program Daily. Thus, they have a trial period of 180 days for every applicant. This is their way of saving space for only qualified affiliates.
Within this time period of 180 days, you must generate a minimum of three sales to be accepted into their program. If you don’t, they will shut down your account.
You have the option to appeal for a re-enabling of your account, but it is not advised unless you are certain your website or mobile app can generate the sales necessary. Otherwise, you are better off just making another account.
Amazon’s Terms & Conditions… Don’t Get Banned!
3. The final phase in your setup would be the reading of Amazon’s terms and conditions. I know this is probably going to sound weird, but there are some serious statements made in their policies.
If you don’t follow their Policies, they will ban and shut down your account. Many people have had this happen on a Permanent basis. That’s right, they never got their account reinstated.
Here are just a few ways you can get your account banned:
- Using product images not directly provided within the Affiliate program. (E.g. copying a product image off Amazon’s main product listing instead of using the allowed picture(s).
- Copying an image instead of using the HTML coding. Amazon does not approve of you copying pictures onto your computer for uploading. To elaborate, it does not approve of you uploading that saved picture onto your website, app or post by itself. You must place the image onto your site with the HTML coding behind it so that Amazon can track it.
Amazon has the built in feature to supply you with an HTML loaded image for any product.
Disclaimers and Masking
- Not having Amazon Listing disclaimers. I found this one out recently. If you are listing prices and specifications that could change over time, you are liable for giving false information about a product. But more importantly, you must inform people that you are an Affiliate of Amazon and that you make a referral fee or commission! This is cause for your account’s termination if you don’t have this on your site!
It is imperative that you have a product information disclaimer. One stating that you are not liable when details about Amazon’s products change. Especially if you are going to be reviewing products with varying descriptions.
On top of that, you need to have a disclaimer explaining that you are an Affiliate of Amazon’s, it can be simple or lengthy, but it must be understood!
- Masking Amazon’s links. If you’ve ever heard of plugins, software, or re-scripting tools that change the appearance of a link, then this one will make sense to you. Amazon does not approve of any “masking” used on their links.
Let me clarify: This is you simply using a redirect for Amazon links. An example would be to change a link from “www.amzn.to”, and making it appear as, “www.masking.com/product”.
Naturally, the latter looks cleaner and more trustworthy, but the cost is high. You may be tempted to hide the hideous links that Amazon pumps out, but don’t do it! It’s not worth getting your account suspended.
How To Become An Affiliate Marketer For Amazon In 5 Minutes, Steps & Full Walkthrough
The following steps are very simplistic and you should have no problem enrolling in under 5 minutes. I have also taken some screen shots of the main sign up page to assist with your enrollment.
Amazon’s sign up page has changed before, so if anything is outdated, let me know and I will update this post accordingly. If you have any questions, leave me a comment below, or email me and I will respond asap to help you. (My email is listed at the end of this article)
To start, go to Amazon’s Associates Home page, here: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/.
You will see a big button that says, “Join Now For Free”. Click on that and you will see the “Creating Your Amazon Associates Account” page.
Step 1 – “Account Information”.
You will first start by entering your payee information. Address, name, number, etc
Pretty straight forward here, and you will have the option to change all of your settings and account information later.
Step 2 – “Website & Mobile App List”
Then list your website address and or Apps that you want to enroll in the program. Step 1 and 2 are very simple, step three has a lot more information needed.
Step 3 – “Profile”
After that is completed, you will then fill in your profile information. You will choose your preferred “Associates Store ID”, which will become a part of your affiliate link.
You will briefly describe your website and give some details about it. I personally used the mission statement of my website.
If you have mobile apps you will want to list those and describe those too.
You will have the option to select two primary topics to describe your website or mobile apps, or both.
You will then specify what kind of products you will be advertising on your website (or mobile apps) from Amazon.
The last question is relevant to what type of website you have. Some examples would be a blog or a shopping website which compares prices. If you have a mobile app, you will naturally want to specify its type as well.
Traffic & Magnetization – Honesty Is The Best Policy
It is important to be completely honest here. If you are a new owner of a blog, website, or app, be willing to admit that. Honesty is the best policy when you are applying for a program that receives numerous applicants a day.
You have a multiple-choice selection allowing you to check mark the different methods you use to drive traffic to your website or app.
You will then select one or two different ways you monetize your site or app.
It will ask you how you usually build links. This is relevant because the format Amazon uses to build links may be different from the one you use.
One of the last key questions is how many people you have coming to your site on a monthly basis. Again, be open here. Amazon doesn’t care about how many you receive currently, they care about sales.
They will ask you your primary motive for joining Amazon’s Affiliate Network.
Lastly, they want to know how you found out about their network.
Step 4 – “Identity Verification”
Step 4 is simple. All you need to do is verify that you aren’t a robot and that you don’t plan to pull a Terminator… That was a joke.
All jokes aside, you can use your phone or email to verify your identity. The response rate for both are lightning fast and I was able to verify everything I needed in under a minute.
Step 5 – “Start Using Associates Central”
Your final step will be to fill in your payment details. This is how Amazon will pay you your commissions or “fees” as they are called. When you make sales, all payments are made exactly 60 days after the initial sales.
Note: a $15 dollar deduction is made from every check issued in the United States. It is highly recommended that you choose a different method to receive your “fees” if at all possible.
Amazon’s Many Tools And Features, Using Amazon Central
Here are all the tools and features within Amazon’s Affiliate Program you’ll find in the Affiliate Central home:
1. Product Linking:
- Product Links
Along with the “Reports” feature of Amazon’s program, this is the primary feature I use regularly. Within this feature you can search for specific products by name, category, or department.
You will also be shown the “Top Selling Products by Category” towards the bottom of this page. This can be very valuable if you are looking for top selling or “hot” products.
Once you have selected a product, you will have the option to generate Affiliate Links and HTML for promotional images. You can select shorter or longer versions of the link. The images Amazon provides come in several sizes to accommodate your needs.
Shortcut For Bloggers: To save time, simply drag the image you want to use onto your post, article or page. The HTML is already part of the image Amazon generates and will automatically insert into your post’s or page’s HTML.
The “Banners” portion of Amazon Central is quite useful if you want banners to be displayed on your website. Some of these are intuitive with movement already programmed in. Quite eye-catching.
There are different formats and sizes to meet your needs.
- Native Shopping Ads
“Native Shopping Ads” generate relevant product recommendations based on what you are promoting or blogging about on a page or post.
This is a very useful feature to display products in addition to ones you’re already reviewing. It is also useful in the event you simply wanted to show an Amazon search feature. Readers or users can use this search bar to search Amazon products from your website.
Mobile Customization and Linking to Specific Pages
- Mobile Popover
The “Mobile Popover” feature allows for an Amazon popup to appear on people’s phone when an Amazon affiliate link comes into view.
This is useful if you wanted a more direct way for people to see your links as it includes, images, prices and a few details. Naturally the popup disappears after they scroll down.
- Link To Any Page
This little feature allows for you to search up specific location within Amazon.com and link to them with an affiliate link. You can already do this with the header extension (SiteStripe) that appears at the top of Amazon’s site. But this is a useful feature in the event that doesn’t show for you.
- Featured Promotions
Being able to promote the latest products and sales on Amazon can be very useful! They give you the links, images and details to maximize your referral power. These change regularly, so keeping your eye on them may be beneficial.
- Amazon Bounty Program
The Bounty program is a nice addition to making referral fees on Amazon’s products. It allows affiliates to make a “bounty” or fee off of people attempting to, or fully signing up to one of Amazon’s many services. Kindle Unlimited, and Audible are good examples.
- Amazon Promo Codes
Amazon regularly uses promo codes on different categories and products. These codes can range from 10% to 60% percent or more! They are very useful if they are in your niche, app, or the topic of your blog.
This is a handy feature built in to Amazon and is sure to make your life a-heck of a lot easier. With this feature, you can generate affiliate links from any page in Amazon.com. You just need to log into the account linked to you Amazon Associates account.
- Publisher Studio
The “Publisher Studio” is an integrated plugin for Firefox and Chrome. It is a faster way to insert product links into sites like, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Blogger and Typepad, If you hate having to go to Amazon or use the back office in Amazon Associates, this plugin is most definitely for you!
- Link Checker
This tool is invaluable. You can insert any link from Amazon and check if it is correctly linking back to your affiliate account. In my own experience, this was very useful when my first account was suspended and I had to verify some of my old links.
You will probably use this less than you might think. Amazon’s links never expire unless something happens to the account or the product itself.
API and Linking
- Product Advertising API
The Product Advertising API is one of the most powerful tools at the affiliate’s disposal. Upon getting your account fully approved, you will be given API credentials. These credentials work with different plugins and services to provide up-to-date information about the products you list.
This is extremely helpful for pricing, images, or specifications that change for a product. They automatically update themselves with this feature.
- One Link
One Link has become a front for international sales. Being able to receive payment in one currency, and be paid in another is invaluable. With One Link, all of your links go to the product listing relative to their country.
If you are in United States, you can now use links that will show the product page for the buyer’s country rather than your own. This means you can virtually sell to anyone in the world if Amazon supports their country!
- Link Your Accounts
This feature allows you to link accounts for different countries.
- Link Builder Plugin For WordPress
The Link Builder Plugin is similar to the Publisher Studio that I previously mentioned. The difference being that this is a plugin specifically designed for WordPress.
The Reports section of the Amazon Associates central back office is one of your most important tools. From here you can view important details about:
- Click Through Rates
- Downloadable Reports
- Link Type Performance
- Graph Performance
- Products Sold
This is where your tracking will take place. I guarantee this will become the place you spend most of your time within Amazon Central.
- Product Help
- Resource Center
- Operating Agreement
- Program Policies
- Discussion Boards
- Contact Us
The “Help” section is pretty self-explanatory. Needless to say, you can find all the information and assistance from Amazon to answer all of your questions here.
And that’s it! You have all the information you now know how to become an affiliate for Amazon in 5 minutes! If you have any questions, feel free to comment below or send me an email. I will get back to you asap!
Also, Wealthy Affiliate has a great special on their premium memberships right now, so be sure to click the button below if you are interested!
Cheers to your success,